Knights Templar NWN
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Knights Templar NWN

A forum for the Knights Templar mod for Neverwinter Nights

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Set Item bonuses

Go down 
+3
Clive Forumposter
Sarah the DM
Wheatonrunner69
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Wheatonrunner69
Admin
Wheatonrunner69

Set Item bonuses Empty
PostSubject: Set Item bonuses   Set Item bonuses Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10 2008, 13:22

Does each set offer different bonuses when completed, or are they the same? Are the set bonuses static or do they change depending on your class/alignment/race.

- WR69
Back to top Go down
Sarah the DM

Set Item bonuses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Set Item bonuses   Set Item bonuses Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10 2008, 19:55

Set bonuses are unique for each set. The bonuses are static, but I've considered making some change depending on plot lines.
Back to top Go down
Wheatonrunner69
Admin
Wheatonrunner69

Set Item bonuses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Set Item bonuses   Set Item bonuses Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11 2008, 10:41

I love the idea of set items and unique set bonuses. Its a great change from the original NWN set of basic items and adds a nice diversity of new drops.

Have you ever considered showing the bonus for completing the set in the description? Obviously if you have bonuses change depending on plot lines you might not be able to do that (or at least it would require some additional scripting).

- WR69
Back to top Go down
Clive Forumposter

Clive Forumposter

Set Item bonuses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Set Item bonuses   Set Item bonuses Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11 2008, 15:58

I like the idea of listing the set bonus somewhere, maybe have it scroll by in the combat info pane right after it says "set completed" that way Sarah wouldn't have to re-write the description of every item.

love the forum idea btw.. I was contemplating making a KT site, but i'm lazy so it probably would never have gone anywhere Smile

cool... also just noticed i can insert flash into the post... overly complex and flashy siggy is next item on the agenda.
Back to top Go down
Sarah the DM

Set Item bonuses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Set Item bonuses   Set Item bonuses Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11 2008, 22:48

That's a good point about descriptions. Yeah, I don't really like to make item creation more complex than it already is.

I could possibly add text that tells what the bonus is, but I kinda wanted it so you'd have to figure it out while playing. Also, I think it would get very annoying, as you'd get the list printed every time you completed a set. I know I often swap items during buffing that cause me to lose then re-equip the set bonus.

Perhaps I could let an NPC, like Darla, tell you your set bonuses when asked?
Back to top Go down
Wheatonrunner69
Admin
Wheatonrunner69

Set Item bonuses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Set Item bonuses   Set Item bonuses Icon_minitimeFri Sep 12 2008, 12:50

The NPC idea sounds like the best of both worlds. Whatever you choose is great.

- WR69
Back to top Go down
Clive Forumposter

Clive Forumposter

Set Item bonuses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Set Item bonuses   Set Item bonuses Icon_minitimeFri Sep 12 2008, 13:14

kiss ass
Back to top Go down
pugz

pugz

Set Item bonuses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Set Item bonuses   Set Item bonuses Icon_minitimeFri Sep 12 2008, 13:45

i really like the idea of the npc telling you what each set bonus is. that is a gr8 idea!!
Back to top Go down
aztech63

Set Item bonuses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Set Item bonuses   Set Item bonuses Icon_minitimeFri Sep 12 2008, 13:50

The idea of an NPC telling you the set bonus is nice but even better if you had to complete some quest to get the info.
Back to top Go down
Kronos_Deftone

Set Item bonuses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Set Item bonuses   Set Item bonuses Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14 2008, 22:51

You could just throw the list and description of the set bonuses in a book that can be found readily or purchased at the first merchant Oblivion-style. That might be easier.

-t.
Back to top Go down
Sarah the DM

Set Item bonuses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Set Item bonuses   Set Item bonuses Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15 2008, 07:25

It's a lot of work no matter how I handle it, and it's pretty low priority. If I have an NPC option that lists the properties, I have to write coding to decode those properties which are stored as numbers, not text. The advantage of this is that I can subsequently alter the bonuses without having to rewrite anything else.

A book that lists the properties of each bonus would take time to write, and it would have to be updated each time I made alterations.
Back to top Go down
Zog2

Zog2

Set Item bonuses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Set Item bonuses   Set Item bonuses Icon_minitimeFri Oct 24 2008, 00:22

Sarah the DM wrote:
Set bonuses are unique for each set. The bonuses are static, but I've considered making some change depending on plot lines.
I was just having a think about set bonuses along these lines.
Many of the sets in game are geared directly towards a certain class (Bard set, Sorcerer set, SD set, etc...) but the bonuses for whichever class the set was geared towards often are minimal (eg. no extra spells for cleric set), and often by the time a char reaches a level where the can equip all the items in a set there are other items available which outweigh the benefits given by the set bonuses.

I know it's a lot of work, but it would still be nice to see set bonuses (mostly for those sets with item class restrictions) change dynamically with character level or achievements. This way you may actually start to see Wizards in d14 wearing Wizard set (because it starts to give more spell slots or physical damage resistances or something), Bards in d15 wearing Bard set (because they get more Perform skill or high damage resistance:sonic or whatever), etc...

Just thoughts!

BTW... hope all goes well with your tests/exams/holidays Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Set Item bonuses Empty
PostSubject: Re: Set Item bonuses   Set Item bonuses Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Set Item bonuses
Page 1 of 1