Knights Templar NWN
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Knights Templar NWN

A forum for the Knights Templar mod for Neverwinter Nights

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Server Reset Timer

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Warchief

Warchief

Server Reset Timer Empty
PostSubject: Server Reset Timer   Server Reset Timer Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12 2009, 23:19

Would it be possible to put the server on a timed reset so that it resets at least once everyday? If that is possible that would be great considering Knights Templar has been getting really laggy lately and it seems that after the server resets the lag is much calmer.
Back to top Go down
werehound

Server Reset Timer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Server Reset Timer   Server Reset Timer Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13 2009, 20:33

Warchief wrote:
Would it be possible to put the server on a timed reset so that it resets at least once everyday? If that is possible that would be great considering Knights Templar has been getting really laggy lately and it seems that after the server resets the lag is much calmer.

Are you that dull? There's been posts made in over 2 other topics about this lag man. Try reading the forums before you post.
Back to top Go down
Warchief

Warchief

Server Reset Timer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Server Reset Timer   Server Reset Timer Icon_minitimeSat Feb 14 2009, 17:37

Sometimes the more you inform the more chances there is of someone actually doing something about it. You don't have to trashtalk just because somone already posted about it.
Back to top Go down
werehound

Server Reset Timer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Server Reset Timer   Server Reset Timer Icon_minitimeSat Feb 14 2009, 21:24

In those posts, Sarah said he cant, or doesnt trust the third party programs that can.
Back to top Go down
Warchief

Warchief

Server Reset Timer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Server Reset Timer   Server Reset Timer Icon_minitimeSat Feb 14 2009, 22:03

Well let Sarah post it on this one then otherwise it is still a valid post.
Back to top Go down
Sarah the DM

Server Reset Timer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Server Reset Timer   Server Reset Timer Icon_minitimeSun Feb 15 2009, 07:11

It's something that would have been possible when I was in the States, but I didn't feel it was a big priority. It's true that I refuse to install other applications on the server. The server is based on Linux, so a lot of the NWN stuff programmed for Windows won't work. I'm sure I could program something myself, but I'd rather work on the module itself with what limited time I currently have. I also don't have access to the server I once did.

So, the other posters who said I wasn't interested were right. I'm just getting back to the point where I'm willing to start working on the module again, and even that isn't as easy as it once was.
Back to top Go down
Warchief

Warchief

Server Reset Timer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Server Reset Timer   Server Reset Timer Icon_minitimeSun Feb 15 2009, 14:10

Fair enough I was only wondering if it was possible on this server since i have seen it on others. Thanks for the info Sarah.
Back to top Go down
Sarah the DM

Server Reset Timer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Server Reset Timer   Server Reset Timer Icon_minitimeSun Feb 15 2009, 19:54

My move to Japan is a major part of the problem. I simply have no easy way to install and/or test any changes to the server at this time. Programming something for Linux that would monitor the server status and interact with it to restart it periodically would require access to the server and some time to set up properly.

That's also what's stopping me from making module changes at this time. I can get new versions loaded, but I have no real way to test them. If I make a mistake (programmers always do), it would take hours if not a day to get another change loaded on the server.

I originally set it up so I would have a secure link directly to the server computer. With the recent server crash, that's not working any more, and it's not something easy for me to set up again. It took me quite a bit of time to get it working correctly the first time, and it would require coordination at both ends.

I do plan on setting up a new server in a month or two, but I can't justify spending even a couple hundred on that right now when we are in a new house with almost no furniture and over $10,000 in moving expenses to pay off. It's a matter of priorities.

If everyone is patient with me, I will get back to KT in a month or two. Until then, I'm making notes based on the posts here, and I'll work from that when I can.
Back to top Go down
Warchief

Warchief

Server Reset Timer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Server Reset Timer   Server Reset Timer Icon_minitimeSun Feb 15 2009, 21:41

Yeah I know what you mean. Mobing expenses are not cool and also I do realize that programmers always make at least one mistake because i am also a programmer just not one who is experienced with nwn code. I understand that you have other prioities and Im sure that people wil be patient with you. The post i made earlier was because I wasnt sure how long ago the other posts were posted. Hope things work out for ya in Japan.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Server Reset Timer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Server Reset Timer   Server Reset Timer Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Server Reset Timer
Page 1 of 1