A forum for the Knights Templar mod for Neverwinter Nights

HomeFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Evil Aura / Healing

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ninebobnote

PostSubject: Evil Aura / Healing   Wed Nov 12 2008, 12:38

As I understand it, healing potions in the world of KT works balance of healing skill and the "evil aura" of the area you are currently in. (please correct me if i am wrong.)

I think this is a great idea, but would like to see what I think would be a logical extension of this effect. That is when the script is run we see the line "The evil of the places effects your healing ability" and the potion, to some extent, fails. However as the aura is an evil one then should a character who is lawful good be more effected than a chaotic evil character? The logic being a CE character is more or less used to being around evil.

Now, I'm not saying that evil characters should not be effected but lets say we have a LG character with 40 points in heal. They would fail maybe 1 in 3 heals in D16. Maybe a neutral character with the same points fails 1 in 4 and a CE 1 in 5

I think this would create another variable to be considered when building the character and as there are 100 points between good and evil (not counting chaotic to lawful) it allows for a good deal of subtlety.

Any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sarah the DM

PostSubject: Re: Evil Aura / Healing   Wed Nov 12 2008, 20:46

That's one possible interpretation, but there's another. Healing arts are good. Death and wounding is evil. Evil clerics typically use cause wounds, harm, etc to damage their opponents. Good folks are supposed to be more focused on healing and bolstering other folks.

Here's my concept: the evil aura affects healing, because it is harder for good clerics or potions to provide the necessary positive/holy energy. The more powerful the cleric, the more capable they are at resisting the negative energy effect and channeling the positive energy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ninebobnote

PostSubject: Re: Evil Aura / Healing   Thu Nov 13 2008, 06:35

Oh, I see. I was assuming that healing power was divine in the polytheistic forgotten realms sense which includes evil gods that grant power to their followers. Rather than the monotheistic christian sense of one God who is good.

But even so, I think alignment could still play a part in the healing process, just the opposite way from how i'd originally suggested. So evil players in an evil place have a harder time trying to access the good power than a good character in an evil place.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clive Forumposter

PostSubject: Re: Evil Aura / Healing   Thu Nov 13 2008, 09:56

Interesting idea, although considering how often my knight with maxed heal skill fails a heal in hell, i would suggest that if the effect is turned up even more for evil characters then their odds at survival match those of a snowball...

I would like to see some more use made out of alignments though, maybe a guild of knights to rival the templars - lawful evil (that is a hard thing to maintain as most things that make you evil also make you chaotic.) fighters, clerics and blackguards only.

I doubt such a guild would ever be made, but lets suppose for a moment it did, and the benefits matched the templars (templar ammy, again very doubtful), can you imagine the awesome power of full guild on guild arena battles?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ninebobnote

PostSubject: Re: Evil Aura / Healing   Fri Nov 14 2008, 06:04

I agree that such a guild would never be made. Too many people would play that and ignore the templars. The mod is about people playing lawful good. Given the chance people would play evil and what is the point of giving us a choice if we use our free will to make the wrong choice?

Now, before people get all riled at me, I am not saying that ALL people would play evil, I mean on average. You would still get some templars, and those that do choose to play evil dont make that descision because they are evil people in the real world, its just role play.

I'm just saying that if there were a guild of evil knights then, after the initial rush when everyone would build one, you would find more evil knights than templars on at most times.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Evil Aura / Healing   

Back to top Go down

Evil Aura / Healing
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1