Knights Templar NWN
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Knights Templar NWN

A forum for the Knights Templar mod for Neverwinter Nights

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Another version of Gem

Go down 
+4
Ivan the Terrible
Sarah the DM
Clive Forumposter
GPharaoh
8 posters
AuthorMessage
GPharaoh

GPharaoh

Another version of Gem Empty
PostSubject: Another version of Gem   Another version of Gem Icon_minitimeSat Oct 25 2008, 00:00

I Thought of an idea to make set item pieces usefull even if you are beyond 60lvl. Lets say you have come accross rusty or pally set items... and now you have no other choice but to use Rusty or Pally set items because thats basicly the only good enough item that would help u survive in HELL... so instead of seeing everyone wear RUSTY or PALLY set... have a way to improve armor, shield, helm. or cloak's resistance's since +15 resists wont help you any and anyone's gonna change them right away... something like other gems (emerald, ruby, sapphire, etc.) maybe make one or three gems to improve Magic, Negative, Positive damage resistances ONLY (there's need to improve damage)that way people would wear different gear and you wouldnt be seeing everyone wear RUSTY and PALLy set items... where it would drop... hmmm maybe d15 and d16... or d16 only?? also maybe others would have a good name for these items.
Back to top Go down
http://www.blizzard.com/diablo3/
Clive Forumposter

Clive Forumposter

PostSubject: Re: Another version of Gem   Another version of Gem Icon_minitimeSat Oct 25 2008, 04:23

It would be nice to have a dex based character allowed enough damage resistance to survive in d14 and above without being partied with a tank or two.
Back to top Go down
Sarah the DM

PostSubject: Re: Another version of Gem   Another version of Gem Icon_minitimeSat Oct 25 2008, 20:36

I have plans for items. Remember, Merchant Isle isn't finished. It's barely started. I expect them to have all sorts of unique changes to items. For example, they may be able to create an uber version of a unique shield in the game, like the Medusa Shield.
Back to top Go down
Ivan the Terrible

PostSubject: monk items   Another version of Gem Icon_minitimeFri Jan 02 2009, 20:28

How is a monk/shadow dancer supposed to survive in Hell since they have no use for either thr Rusty or Pally sets?
Back to top Go down
GPharaoh

GPharaoh

PostSubject: Re: Another version of Gem   Another version of Gem Icon_minitimeFri Jan 02 2009, 20:56

Ivan the Terrible wrote:
How is a monk/shadow dancer supposed to survive in Hell since they have no use for either thr Rusty or Pally sets?
that's not a problem, my character doesnt use Pally nor Rusty set items and he survives hell...
Back to top Go down
http://www.blizzard.com/diablo3/
Sarah the DM

PostSubject: Re: Another version of Gem   Another version of Gem Icon_minitimeSat Jan 03 2009, 16:12

I planned to give merchants in Merchant Isle the ability to raise other items to D16 quality (for a price). That will involve a lot of time-consuming programming, but it's doable.
Back to top Go down
Clive Forumposter

Clive Forumposter

PostSubject: Re: Another version of Gem   Another version of Gem Icon_minitimeTue Jan 06 2009, 13:59

I think it would be good to see a pally gem, to replace the pally sword, so paladins could be built favouring different weapons. then u have a "Gem of the Spirit" drop that can be used to add sword of the spirit damage and effects to another class of weapon.

Maybe nerf the effects slightly for weapons with higher base damage / crit range.

Maybe same sort of thing for the rusty set,
Back to top Go down
Sarah the DM

PostSubject: Re: Another version of Gem   Another version of Gem Icon_minitimeTue Jan 06 2009, 19:54

I'm pretty sure paladins can use any weapon they want, because the Sword of the Spirit is not required for the Set of Faith.
Back to top Go down
Clive Forumposter

Clive Forumposter

PostSubject: Re: Another version of Gem   Another version of Gem Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07 2009, 08:31

I know its not required as part of the set, but isn't it only usable by paladins? and compared to other weapons the damage rocks, so as pally you are one step toward the best weapon in the game already so the choice you are left with is choose another type of weapon and forgo the SotS or focus in longswords, which are pretty generic in terms of crit range and damage and this is really no choice at all.

To make a gem that could enchant any type of weapon to SotS levels would give paladins a greater choice of weapons to focus in.
Back to top Go down
GammaGm

PostSubject: Re: Another version of Gem   Another version of Gem Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07 2009, 18:00

Most sets I've seen involve a shield. I have enjoyed server modifications where wielding a two handed weapon isn't a fast death. Considering the number of mods that can go on a shield a 1.5 damage multiplier given to a two-hander usually isn't worth it in terms of trade-offs. Two handers with a built in AC bonus or increased damage modifiers helped make two handers more playable.

Scythes, heavy flails, greatswords, halberds, great axes are all pretty cool, just really impractical the way things are currently structured. Spears are pathetic.

For purposes of mythos, I can understand why the sword of the spirit is a longsword. The entire set is a biblical reference from Ephesian 6

"Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power.11Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes.12For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.13Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.14Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place,15and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace.16In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one.
17Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.
18And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests."

A gem that grants this power to any weapon does not seem to fit in.
Back to top Go down
ninebobnote

PostSubject: Re: Another version of Gem   Another version of Gem Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08 2009, 10:15

Suppose we put aside the fact that the whole passage is obviously metphorical, I'm sure you are probably aware that St. Paul wrote all his letters in latin then they were translated into whichever native tongue the recipient spoke, in the case of the Ephesians, greek. The passage in question doesn't have a direct correlation to current english and could quite feasibly refer to a sword, a blade, a lance or even just generically, a weapon of the soul or spirit.

The term "sword of the spirit" in that passage attained popularity during the crusades, as the single handed broadsword or longsword were the weapons of choice of the nobility, and as such the only ones who could actually read scripture. Along comes the printing press which mass produces the bible in its most modern form and so the sword became the most widely known translation.

Even if "sword" was the weapon in question it would have referred to the weapon known as a sword at the time of writing, in our modern opinion we would refer to this weapon as a short sword as the longsword didn't come into use for a 1000 or so years later.

So, as with most religious texts, without reading it in context and taking into account the numerous revisions and translations wit will have received it is very easy to make wildly improbable assumptions. Today these tend to result in internet forum based arguments, but in the past they have led to wars.
Back to top Go down
Clive Forumposter

Clive Forumposter

PostSubject: Re: Another version of Gem   Another version of Gem Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08 2009, 15:30

Oooooookay... I just thought it would be cool to have more choice of weapon as a pally.
Back to top Go down
GammaGm

PostSubject: Re: Another version of Gem   Another version of Gem Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08 2009, 18:32

Let there be war!!

Seriously though, yes probably a short sword, the entire getup a reference to the military gear of the roman foot soldier of the age.

The point was ----> a gem didn't really fit the text reference <-----

Personally, I should like to see a wider variety of weapon types utilized.

Horses and lances would be pretty darn cool.
Back to top Go down
r13

PostSubject: Re: Another version of Gem   Another version of Gem Icon_minitimeMon Jan 12 2009, 03:04

ninebobnote wrote:
So, as with most religious texts, without reading it in context and taking into account the numerous revisions and translations wit will have received it is very easy to make wildly improbable assumptions. Today these tend to result in internet forum based arguments, but in the past they have led to wars.

Wow, so many problems with this hard to tell where to start.

1.) It's well known that the NT was originally written in Koine Greek, which was the lingua franca during the entire Roman period.

2.) The greek word Paul used is only difficult in the sense that it's hard to tell if he meant "big knife" or "short sword".

3.) Interesting that you say to use context, yet throw it out right at the beginning of your post. It's clear that he's talking about a metaphorical soldier, hence it's most likely a sword of some kind.

4.) The author of the module is well within his right to define what sword means to him and his purposes for his module.

5.) Paul's intent is quite clear, he's not talking about a sword, rather talking about using the word of god as your weapon to pierce the hard hearts of men. (yes, the pun was SO intended)

6.) This is a really silly way to ask/complain about endgame weapons.
Back to top Go down
ninebobnote

PostSubject: Re: Another version of Gem   Another version of Gem Icon_minitimeTue Jan 13 2009, 12:07

3.) Interesting that you say to use context, yet throw it out right at the beginning of your post. It's clear that he's talking about a metaphorical soldier, hence it's most likely a sword of some kind.

Please read the VERY FIRST LINE of my post. I did make reference to this being an obvious metaphor, but only assumed morons needed that pointing out. Still as we are dealing with religious texts I suppose I should have taken those people into account, so my bad.

4.) The author of the module is well within his right to define what sword means to him and his purposes for his module.

Never said he wasn't, just pointing out that the passage used, when translated into english should not be taken literally. I don't really care about the origin of Sarah's inspiration, I just know he has created a great module.

As for the rest of your post, well. Hard to know where to start. So I won't. I'll just leave it there safe in the knowledge that you obviously have no clue what you are talking about. Best of luck to you. Just one word of advice though, there are other sources of information available other than Wikipedia.
Back to top Go down
Clive Forumposter

Clive Forumposter

PostSubject: Re: Another version of Gem   Another version of Gem Icon_minitimeTue Jan 13 2009, 14:33

This is getting out of hand, I was only making a suggestion. In case you haven't noticed, this is a forum about a game, lets just treat it like that.

ninebobnote, please stop being a total knob.
r12, please don't rise to the bait and lets just leave this thread here.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
r13

PostSubject: Re: Another version of Gem   Another version of Gem Icon_minitimeTue Jan 13 2009, 16:40

Clive Forumposter wrote:
r12, please don't rise to the bait and lets just leave this thread here.

No worries about that happening Clive, I know better then to share Truth with those who only have an interest in attacking It. Just demonstrates the lack of support for their position.

As Ghandi would say, "... then they attack you, then you win."
Back to top Go down
GammaGm

PostSubject: Re: Another version of Gem   Another version of Gem Icon_minitimeTue Jan 13 2009, 18:39

Easy now...

I love the detailed analysis of the words and the rich history behind the development of the scriptures. Mr. Moderator, I propose that this thread has left the track.

Lets go back to making suggestions on how to improve the server we all enjoy.
Back to top Go down
Sarah the DM

PostSubject: Re: Another version of Gem   Another version of Gem Icon_minitimeTue Jan 13 2009, 20:42

Sorry Gamma, but horses are a real pain (lots of lag). That's why I don't allow them.
Back to top Go down
Sarah the DM

PostSubject: Re: Another version of Gem   Another version of Gem Icon_minitimeTue Jan 13 2009, 20:44

BTW, I haven't been very specific about it, but there are ways to get substantial damage bonuses with two-hand weapons that make up for the loss of a shield...
Back to top Go down
Liquid

PostSubject: Re: Another version of Gem   Another version of Gem Icon_minitimeTue Jan 13 2009, 21:44

On the subject of horses, they also are considered very overpowered on many servers, because you can get something like +8 ac when on a horse, and extra hitpoints.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Another version of Gem   Another version of Gem Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Another version of Gem
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Knights Templar NWN :: Comments & Suggestions :: Items-
Jump to: