Knights Templar NWN
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Knights Templar NWN

A forum for the Knights Templar mod for Neverwinter Nights

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Server Restart

Go down 
+3
Sarah the DM
SevenWitches
Rom
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Rom

Server Restart Empty
PostSubject: Server Restart   Server Restart Icon_minitimeSat May 23 2015, 07:32

Hi Sarah,
I am starting the topic here because the area you posted the namesake topic is restricted. The server restarts well by itself, and it clears the dungeons. But the auto-restart does not clear out the toons marked for deletion.
Thanks,
Rom
Back to top Go down
Rom

Server Restart Empty
PostSubject: Re: Server Restart   Server Restart Icon_minitimeSat May 23 2015, 07:51

I was the only one on the server this morning. I tried log off and on immediately, and the server reset. This can cause a problem for transferring items between characters when there is only one player on the server.
Back to top Go down
SevenWitches

SevenWitches

Server Restart Empty
PostSubject: Re: Server Restart   Server Restart Icon_minitimeSun May 24 2015, 08:02

Is the server down? Question
Yesterday I was playing without issues but today I can't connect to the module ... Shocked
Back to top Go down
SevenWitches

SevenWitches

Server Restart Empty
PostSubject: Re: Server Restart   Server Restart Icon_minitimeSun May 24 2015, 08:42

SevenWitches wrote:
Is the server down? Question
Yesterday I was playing without issues but today I can't connect to the module ... Shocked

Now is working ... ty! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sarah the DM

Server Restart Empty
PostSubject: Re: Server Restart   Server Restart Icon_minitimeSun May 24 2015, 20:05

I don't personally like server restarts when empty, but I don't have another solution at the moment. I'm not going to be around often enough to reset every day. Broken loot bags literally don't exist as far as the scripts go, so I don't know of any other way to get rid of them short of a reset. If players are willing to put up with some clutter in order to have a more persistent world, I can turn the option back off.
Back to top Go down
werehound

Server Restart Empty
PostSubject: Re: Server Restart   Server Restart Icon_minitimeSun May 24 2015, 22:58

[quote="Sarah the DM"]Broken loot bags literally don't exist as far as the scripts go...[/quote]

Not entirely true. The issue with the broken bags is their OnClose script never fires; lag causes the bag to be stuck "Open".

Copying some of your OnClose code (that removes the bag) to OnDisturbed, but only if empty, could fix it.
Back to top Go down
Sarah the DM

Server Restart Empty
PostSubject: Re: Server Restart   Server Restart Icon_minitimeMon May 25 2015, 05:07

Well I cant speak to every broken loot bag, but the server runs a bag clean up every time someone enters or exits the area. Empty bags are supposed to be deleted, but as I recall, some bags survive even that. They're basically invisible to the script.
Back to top Go down
Rom

Server Restart Empty
PostSubject: Re: Server Restart   Server Restart Icon_minitimeMon May 25 2015, 08:57

Is it possible to have a reset with the following two conditions (1) there is no player on and (2) the server clock is at 0 hour? Since you can program the "Midnight Bazaar" I figure you have the timing capability. With these two conditions, players will be able to watch out not to transfer at 0 hour.
Back to top Go down
Sarah the DM

Server Restart Empty
PostSubject: Re: Server Restart   Server Restart Icon_minitimeWed May 27 2015, 09:09

I was working on a timed script to shutdown and restart the server at one point, but it was going to take far more work than simply resetting it myself occasionally.
Back to top Go down
Rom

Server Restart Empty
PostSubject: Re: Server Restart   Server Restart Icon_minitimeWed May 27 2015, 18:43

I know little of scripting. I am just wondering if it is possible to copy the script of Midnight Bazaar and change the part that spawn the NPC in the Bazaar to having the server reset.
Back to top Go down
Sarah the DM

Server Restart Empty
PostSubject: Re: Server Restart   Server Restart Icon_minitimeThu May 28 2015, 10:19

When I looked into this years ago, there was no way to restart the server from within NWN scripting. There appear to be function calls that do something like that, but I could never get them to work. My solution was to run a separate Linux script that would trigger at certain times. However, I don't know how to send a command from an external script into NWN to cause NWN to do a proper shut down. While I understand a lot about NWN scripts themselves, my Linux skills are limited. I run perl scripts to purge the character database and start the server. That's about it.
Back to top Go down
Rom

Server Restart Empty
PostSubject: Re: Server Restart   Server Restart Icon_minitimeThu May 28 2015, 18:46

Thanks, Sarah, for the discussion. Now I appreciate more of the intricacy of scripting just to reset the server.
Back to top Go down
Zog2

Zog2

Server Restart Empty
PostSubject: Re: Server Restart   Server Restart Icon_minitimeFri Jun 05 2015, 02:47

I remember .. years ago .. playing on a Nordock server somewhere.

They had a room where higher level players could go (like having a room in KT's Red Dragon Inn, or somewhere easily accessible in Deep Dark) with a placeable that had a conversation that you could click through.
If 2 people went and initiated the sequence together, a poll went out to all who were on the server. If the result came back positive, it would initiate a countdown to a server reset in about 5 minutes.

Probably a lot of complex scripting there -- but it worked pretty well.
Back to top Go down
Zog2

Zog2

Server Restart Empty
PostSubject: Re: Server Restart   Server Restart Icon_minitimeFri Jun 05 2015, 02:48

On another server (Dor Maeglin) any empty bag that was broken and left lying around could be "bashed" and it would disappear after 1 hit
Back to top Go down
werehound

Server Restart Empty
PostSubject: Re: Server Restart   Server Restart Icon_minitimeFri Jun 05 2015, 15:21

Making lootbags breakable when empty OnDisturbed might do the trick!
Back to top Go down
Sarah the DM

Server Restart Empty
PostSubject: Re: Server Restart   Server Restart Icon_minitimeMon Jun 08 2015, 01:20

I don't have the time or access to modify the module at the moment. I'll try to work it later if I can. There are some good ideas here. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Zog2

Zog2

Server Restart Empty
PostSubject: Server down   Server Restart Icon_minitimeFri Jun 26 2015, 05:31

Nudge...
The server currently seems to be Offline.
Hope there's a quick fix -- I guess it's pretty late right now in US
Back to top Go down
SevenWitches

SevenWitches

Server Restart Empty
PostSubject: Re: Server Restart   Server Restart Icon_minitimeSat Jun 27 2015, 11:14

Zog2 wrote:
Nudge...
The server currently seems to be Offline.
Hope there's a quick fix -- I guess it's pretty late right now in US

seems still is off-line now Sad

edit: lol! your post is not from yesterday night is just from 6 hours ago Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Rom

Server Restart Empty
PostSubject: Re: Server Restart   Server Restart Icon_minitimeSat Jun 27 2015, 12:34

Rumor has it that Sarah is on travel, so patience is a virtue.
Back to top Go down
SevenWitches

SevenWitches

Server Restart Empty
PostSubject: Re: Server Restart   Server Restart Icon_minitimeSat Jun 27 2015, 20:33

Rom wrote:
Rumor has it that Sarah is on travel, so patience is a virtue.

Ok, patience is coming ... Very Happy Very Happy

ty Rom! Wink
Back to top Go down
Zog2

Zog2

Server Restart Empty
PostSubject: Re: Server Restart   Server Restart Icon_minitimeThu Jul 02 2015, 06:47

... am still feeling patience Wink
Back to top Go down
keangchong

Server Restart Empty
PostSubject: Re: Server Restart   Server Restart Icon_minitimeFri Jul 03 2015, 14:30

First Knights Templar and now reddit... I might actually have to go outside...
Back to top Go down
Thisguy9090

Server Restart Empty
PostSubject: Re: Server Restart   Server Restart Icon_minitimeSat Jul 04 2015, 01:27

Me and my cousin have a couple theories lol. First maybe he's traveling for just a week and he would be back this weekend and it would be up but it's not up yet. Second maybe he's in the U.S. for the 4th of July and will be back after this weekend. So if the server is not up by Tuesday then we have to assume Sarah is dead.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Server Restart Empty
PostSubject: Re: Server Restart   Server Restart Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Server Restart
Page 1 of 1