Knights Templar NWN
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Knights Templar NWN

A forum for the Knights Templar mod for Neverwinter Nights

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

whats up w/ the umd and items

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
pugz

pugz

whats up w/ the umd and items Empty
PostSubject: whats up w/ the umd and items   whats up w/ the umd and items Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19 2008, 00:25

w/ 74 in umd i should be able to use anything in the mod and i still cant use certain items like class specific items even tho the value is under my umd skill points. plz explain
Back to top Go down
Clive Forumposter

Clive Forumposter

PostSubject: Re: whats up w/ the umd and items   whats up w/ the umd and items Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19 2008, 03:54

UMD has been seriously nerfed to the point where it is, for all intents and purposes, pointless. I think the reason was to stop cross classing set items, eg, a rogue with lots of UMD wearing pally set items. This is just my guess, Sarah can tell you the real reason, if I'm wrong.

So if you have 74 points, I would guess you wasted lots of skill points and a feat or two. You should consider rebuilding.

Sorry dude.
Back to top Go down
Wheatonrunner69
Admin
Wheatonrunner69

PostSubject: Re: whats up w/ the umd and items   whats up w/ the umd and items Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19 2008, 11:03

Pugz,
Unfortunately Clive is mostly correct. UMD does not allow you to use class and race specific gear on this server. KT is mostly custom scripted by the DM, and varies greatly from the original NWN rule set. The DM has setup an item level restriction script such that taking 1 level in a class (or having a high UMD) does not allow you automatic use of an item.

There is a post on item class/level restrictions, but I don't have the link at the moment. In that post the DM goes into detail what you are required to have in order to use a class/level restricted item. Off hand I remember it being around 13 levels of a specific class to use a class specific item.

UMD is not totally useless but for what you're trying to do it was nerfed. One of my characters puts point into UMD to cross class for scroll use. He is a Dwarven Defender and can cast almost any scroll with 100% success (not a bad use of UMD).

Chances are you may want to relevel that character as UMD wont allow use of cross-class items. The DM has designed scripting this way for the balance of the server. Believe me no one wants to use cross class gear more than my Dwarven Defender, but that would likely make him an uber fighter, and imbalance the server.

On a somewhat related topic, you can read about multi-class leveling here:
https://ktnwn.rpg-board.net/questions-about-kt-modifications-f4/player-levels-t5.htm

Good luck,
-WR69
Back to top Go down
pugz

pugz

PostSubject: yea i guess is should rebuild   whats up w/ the umd and items Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19 2008, 11:39

yea i guess is should rebuild but considering i have rdd lvls that isnt posible w/o losing 20 lvls. i have one coming up in lvls and when he hits about lvl45ish ill just xp bank the other 1 in hopes that it will get me to 60
Back to top Go down
Sarah the DM

PostSubject: Re: whats up w/ the umd and items   whats up w/ the umd and items Icon_minitimeSat Sep 20 2008, 00:39

As I mentioned elsewhere, I design items to try and fix weaknesses in the classes. I know about the 1 level of rogue trick where you save your skill points until the last level, then max your UMD. Any time someone does something like this, they aren't trying to play a realistic character class. They are trying to manipulate weaknesses in the game to gain an advantage, one probably not intended by the designers. Think of it this way. If there were such people as level 39 fighters, they would be nearly the most knowledgeable fighters possible. What fighter of that skill would ever take a level of rogue, which is about equal to a street urchin stealing apples from a cart?

UMD still works to a certain extent in KT, but no way am I going to allow rogues to mix and match the best of each class set in order to get an impossibly powerful character. I saw that happen on DX2. It's not hard to detect when you log on in DM mode and every single character looks exactly the same, 1 level of rogue plus the same mix of set items (if I remember correctly, there was an item that gave a lot of UMD and every single player was using one). I don't want that to happen on KT.

Players shouldn't worry about finding uber builds as much as learning how to play wisely.
Back to top Go down
Nuli

PostSubject: Re: whats up w/ the umd and items   whats up w/ the umd and items Icon_minitimeSat Sep 20 2008, 02:15

I thought i had seen on other servers that there is a way to stop you from leveling up if you dont spend your skill points?
Back to top Go down
Clive Forumposter

Clive Forumposter

PostSubject: Re: whats up w/ the umd and items   whats up w/ the umd and items Icon_minitimeSat Sep 20 2008, 06:02

Not being able to save your skill points through a level up is a little extreme, you may want have a toon the is crossed between two complimentary classes, eg fighter and weapon master, and may want to spread your skill points through the better selection of skills you get on your fighter levels without having to cross class.

As for a level 39 fighter taking one level of rogue, I don't see why this is not feasible from a role playing point of view, this fighter would have seen many advantages to rogue skills, such as tumble, open lock, etc, thoughout his career and decide to learn a few.

Cross classing to create a character that is better than a single class is a core benefit of D&D and has been around since the
beginning. Tampering with the basics of what made NWN great in the first place is not a good idea.

Just because some players abuse this is not a sufficient reason to penalise eveyone.

SMALL PRINT
*All views expressed above are strictly IMHO, and do not reflect the opinions of the management, license holders and developers of Dungeons and Dragons, Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, Neverwinter Nights and DX3 - Knights Templar Neverwinter Nights module.
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: whats up w/ the umd and items   whats up w/ the umd and items Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

whats up w/ the umd and items
Page 1 of 1