A forum for the Knights Templar mod for Neverwinter Nights

HomeFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Loot Drops

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Clive Forumposter

PostSubject: Loot Drops   Wed Sep 17 2008, 14:00

Playing fairly solidly a couple of nights ago, I went for a straight hour without seeing one single loot bag, I know this is unusual, but on the whole I have never known a mod so unwilling to cough up its goodies.

Can the chance of getting a drop be increased at all? just a little?

Alternatively if you think we get too many drops and life in the KT world is generally wine, roses and streets paved with gold, please feel free to call me a whinging noob....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wheatonrunner69
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Loot Drops   Wed Sep 17 2008, 16:17

By no means do I think you're a whining noob. Some of my characters suffer from a similar problem of inferior gear. What I've noticed is that I seem to find decent to good loot, but I'm not able to use it.

Many of us feel your woe's and are lacking the uber gear that we all desire. It seems the only way to accumulate a good stockpile is to beat a dungeon into submission before heading to the next one. I've been told that some loot only drops in certain areas on the server (Dont ask me which loot and in which area because I dont know) so I try to spend a good deal of time in each area before moving on.

I've never gone an hour without a drop, that seems a little crazy, but I've certainly put in 60 minute gaming segments with few drops. But on the other hand, yesterday I was on for 3 hours and looted the hell out of D12. I got so many +10 weapons I didn't know what to do with them (ended up selling them)!

So the only advice I have is to farm onward, and buddy up with someone so you spawn more mobs.

Feel free to send me an invite if you see me online,
-WR69
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sarah the DM

PostSubject: Re: Loot Drops   Wed Sep 17 2008, 19:27

You're a whining noob. There's plenty of loot if you know where to look for it. Insects and animals don't normally carry loot. You could kill spiders forever without ever getting a loot bag. On the other hand, spiderkin are loot carrying and using humanoids. They have a high loot rate.

Now I'm not saying you should ignore spiders and only fight spiderkin and other loot-able monsters. You should still kill what you spawn, but I would try to focus more on areas where you get loot. Unless you want the XP, it just doesn't make a lot of sense to farm areas that have very low loot rates. Fight your way through them and move on to richer pastures.

There's also another factor to consider. A thief can easily sneak up and pickpocket monsters while you're fighting them. I have seen thieves literally deplete an entire dungeon, moving from monster to monster collecting loot. A good thief could tag along with you (if you don't have true sight on) and steal from your spawns without you ever knowing it.

Keep in mind pick pocket is a random skill. You don't know what item or gold you are getting. The script selects something at random and does not count equipped items. A player would likely have many inventory items, but monsters only carry the loot they drop when killed. That means thieves have a very high probability of getting items. Plus, they are even told when the monster doesn't have items.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sarah the DM

PostSubject: Re: Loot Drops   Wed Sep 17 2008, 19:28

BTW, stealing from monsters doesn't earn you a thief tag.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wheatonrunner69
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Loot Drops   Wed Sep 17 2008, 20:51

Looks like I'll have to play my rogue more often then Very Happy

-WR69
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nuli

PostSubject: Re: Loot Drops   Wed Sep 17 2008, 23:17

Sadly, stealing loot from monsters also doesnt get you any experience points Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clive Forumposter

PostSubject: Re: Loot Drops   Thu Sep 18 2008, 04:29

But it does get you loot, even if you are high level and wouldn't get the same loot if you killed the critter. I have noticed some players doing this to farm lower dungeons lookiing for specific items.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clive Forumposter

PostSubject: Re: Loot Drops   Tue Nov 11 2008, 13:52

Just thought I revisit this thread with an update... I spent about an hour playing the other day and every single beastie dropped a bag. And I mean EVERY SINGLE ONE!! (it was d14, if anyone is interested.)

For the most part they were just gold and healing potions, but a couple of nice bits came in too.

But every critter dropping a bag has to be some sort of record. After I realised I thought to myself "wooohoo, Sarah must be on and being uncharacteristically generous!" (turns out Sarah wasn't on and I just got lucky.) So I headed into Hell with the plan of getting lucky with Hell drops where I promptly died. Lots.

So the moral of this story is the drops are completely random and the unlucky day I had that prompted the original post is offset by the lucky day that prompted this post.

The other moral to this tale is: Don't go to Hell, it hurts.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Loot Drops   

Back to top Go down

Loot Drops
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1