Knights Templar NWN
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Knights Templar NWN

A forum for the Knights Templar mod for Neverwinter Nights

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Addressing an imbalance in bonus spells

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Koelenis

Koelenis

Addressing an imbalance in bonus spells Empty
PostSubject: Addressing an imbalance in bonus spells   Addressing an imbalance in bonus spells Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20 2009, 01:02

Amulet of Wizardry, Helm of Wizardry, the wizard's own upgradeable staff, Skeeve's set, wizards can get a lot of extra spell slots. Sorcerers get many extra spells also, having available a Helm of Sorcery, Skeeve's set, the upgradeable sorcerer's staff, missing out only on an amulet. Bards are not so lucky, with Tune Master gloves available at higher levels and a certain longsword at MUCH higher levels.
I haven't completed the Jester's set (high bard) to know if it gives bonus spells to the bard. With Pugz' help, I WAS able to complete the Blessed Set, which I had thought was supposed to be the high level cleric set.
It turn out the Blessed Set does NOT give bonus spells like other caster sets do. In fact, to complete it, you have to remove the single item in the game that DOES give bonus cleric spells, the humble cloak. Also have to remove your other item that increases wisdom, the amulet, resulting in a further loss of memorized spells.

It would be nice to see a few more stand-alone items with cleric bonus spell slots, available at different levels. A ring of holiness (normal, greater, epic) is just one example. On another note, I was trying to think of something that would go up in level similar to the arcane caster's personal spell staves. As a cleric levels up, growing in power, he should be able to channel more power through his holy symbol, such as a cross, displayed on armor, shield, or tabard (cloak, in NWN). The holy symbol could be bumped up in power similar to the caster's staves, perhaps by praying at the altars?

That might present some problems for a melee combatant in our world, though. I thought armor at first, then realized it couldn't be removed to put resistances on it, and might prove to be a liability eventually, same deal with a shield. Using a cloak to hold a holy symbol makes it so that the cleric can't use the one item in the game that already gives bonus spells, but other casters already have this issue with their silver/gold/platinum spell staffs (but they have other sources!)
Back to top Go down
Sarah the DM

PostSubject: Re: Addressing an imbalance in bonus spells   Addressing an imbalance in bonus spells Icon_minitimeWed Dec 23 2009, 01:29

Added some new cleric items to give more bonus spell slots.
Back to top Go down
Koelenis

Koelenis

PostSubject: Re: Addressing an imbalance in bonus spells   Addressing an imbalance in bonus spells Icon_minitimeWed Dec 23 2009, 18:14

Awesome, thanks, I'm going to have to go looking for them as soon as my comp gets back up to speed. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Addressing an imbalance in bonus spells   Addressing an imbalance in bonus spells Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Addressing an imbalance in bonus spells
Page 1 of 1