A forum for the Knights Templar mod for Neverwinter Nights

HomeFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Excessive Shouting

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kronos_Deftone

PostSubject: Excessive Shouting   Sat Sep 13 2008, 18:00

Am I the only person that has a problem with the abundance of shouting on this server? It completely eliminates any chance of role playing-or even having a conversation of your own- when someone decides to have a full conversation in shout. People that do this do it on purpose. The default setting for your chat bar isn't shout, it's talk and the text is yellow. So there's no excuse for it. I'm not suggesting that you turn the shout off all together as it can have benefits, but what I am suggesting is that you make excessive shouting a crime- disturbing the peace.

-t.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wheatonrunner69
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Excessive Shouting   Sun Sep 14 2008, 11:05

I agree that the excessive shouting is annoying, but I have yet to say anything about it. It clutters the server and eliminates chances of RP.

A crime may be on the excessive side, unless the DM can somehow issue warnings that get logged and players have 3 strikes before they're put in jail.

I think turning shout off for individual characters can be helpful, but may not be the answer, (as you can miss some important messages, regardless of how rarely they occur)

Nuli and others,
How do you turn off shouting on your individual characters?

-WR69

Sarah the DM wrote:
Too much shouting is a new topic. I'd create a new thread for that, because I believe Nuli and others know how to turn it off for their characters. I have the ability to turn it off for everyone, but that would extreme.

As for the types of items, that's another new topic. Please start a new thread in the item area of the forum. I will try to address any item requests.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aztech63

PostSubject: Re: Excessive Shouting   Sun Sep 14 2008, 13:13

I'd rather not have it turned off. I think its up to us as players to ask those folks abusing it to please stop. If they don't we again as players should post on the forum who is abusing it and ask for jail time or another penelty. Or we could msg the DMs if on or e-mail them.

I for one am shouting every once in a while the address of the new forum and asking folks to visit it for info and questions. Not shouting so often as to be annoying at least I do not think I am. I make a hot key and hit it once every 10 minutes or so.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clive Forumposter

PostSubject: Re: Excessive Shouting   Sun Sep 14 2008, 14:01

I, for one, don't get that fussed by shouts, except for the obvious exception of people swearing (I have small children that love to ask me what that word means...) and party tactics that can by used on the party line or in tells. The rest of the time holding server wide conversations on the shout channel can create a better community.

90% of shout is harmless, but you do occasionally get morons that get a kick out of annoying people and spamming shout or cursing, but if it does get to be a problem, you can switch off shout. I know its not a perfect solution, but live and let live.

For those that don't know - To turn off shout, right click on the black bar at the top of the chat pane and click "Exclude Shout" from the radial menu.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sarah the DM

PostSubject: Re: Excessive Shouting   Sun Sep 14 2008, 16:37

Good points all. Party communications and cursing should never be shouted. If someone is violating the rules, warn them to stop. If they continue, send me an email containing a screen shot. Open the shout window so you capture as much of the conversation as possible, and I'll ban them if necessary. I record all key codes and IP addresses, so I can ban them even if they are no longer logged on.

As for shout spamming, that's more nuanced. Players like to communicate and so long as they don't appear to be doing it intentionally to annoy people, I think it's OK. I believe Nuli also knows a command that will turn off shout, but it only works on your character and I don't know what the command is.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kronos_Deftone

PostSubject: Re: Excessive Shouting   Sun Sep 14 2008, 23:12

I'm not trying to make a big fuss over shouting. I don't have a problem with the occasional shout. It's the "excessive" shouting that bothers me. Full conversations had in shout completely ruin the atmosphere. If i'm online and talking with another player i'd like to be able to read what they say and it doesn't make sense to me that people use the shout command like it's an Instant Messaging system. By no means am I suggesting shutting off shout alltogether. Shout has many good uses. Advertising sales and community events, letting us know what end Dungeon "boss" is currently being or has recently been defeated(that's a really good idea by the way), and cries for help are all very good reasons to keep shout active. I'm merely suggesting that excessive(5 or more consecutive shouts) shouting be illegal. I can imagine how difficult that could be to script or monitor. I'm just throwing suggestions out there.

-t.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nuli

PostSubject: Re: Excessive Shouting   Mon Sep 15 2008, 00:20

As Clive mentioned above, to turn off shout for yourself you can right click on the bar above your chat window, then using the radial menu select 'turn shouts off'...also useful to add server messaging into your chat screen so you can see any kind of server messages (who joined, potential resets, etc)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wheatonrunner69
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Excessive Shouting   Thu Sep 18 2008, 10:35

The last few times I've been online there was some impressive excessive shouting. I've taken screen shots, but have not reprimanded more than a "please don't use shout for conversations".

I'll keep an eye out for repeat offenders and post screen captures for the DM to review.

-WR69
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Excessive Shouting   

Back to top Go down

Excessive Shouting
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Knights Templar NWN :: Comments & Suggestions :: Knights Templar mod-
Jump to: