A forum for the Knights Templar mod for Neverwinter Nights

HomeFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Resistance gear.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kronos_Deftone

PostSubject: Resistance gear.   Sat Sep 13 2008, 16:53

I've noticed that it's fairly difficult to find good resistance gear at the lower levels. Particularly slashing resistance. Am I the only one that's noticed the imbalance between resistance to other forms of physical damage and slashing resisitance? Is this an intentional imbalance or is it an oversight?

-t.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wheatonrunner69
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Resistance gear.   Sun Sep 14 2008, 10:30

How much is not enough resistance? I have a few epic resistance belts on my Dwarven Defender (20 resistance, one being slashing). Personally I think that shrugging off 20 points of slashing is not bad. Others thoughts? He also has quite a few items that offer 15 or 20 resistance to various elemental types (dragon armor does 20 to Fire (red), or 20 to electric (blue) I believe).

The Red Dragon inn sells some decent equipment (15 resistance) for cold, and I believe that they sell a magical resistance item. I'm not sure about positive energy resistance and death resistance/immunity, but I know there are clarity scrolls and potions available in the Templar Outpost that give mind immunity.

What do others think about the server's item immunity situation?

Kronos, Thanks for the constructive criticism.
-WR69
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wheatonrunner69
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Resistance gear.   Sun Sep 14 2008, 10:33

I often swap out epic belts (slashing, bludgeoning, piercing), boots (cold resists), Amulets (acid resist) and other gear depending on what I'm fighting and what they're using.

Its annoying, but it works extremely well.
-WR69
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sarah the DM

PostSubject: Re: Resistance gear.   Sun Sep 14 2008, 16:26

I reworked the belts so that the ultimate slashing, piercing, and bludgeoning resistance is higher. There are many other items in the game that give damage resistance to just about every type. Positive energy resistance is rare, but fire, acid, cold, electrical, and sonic are very common and can be created with gems. Divine energy resistance is very rare. It's pretty much reserved for paladins, Knight Templars, and Crimson Monks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kronos_Deftone

PostSubject: Re: Resistance gear.   Sun Sep 14 2008, 22:43

I really dig the crafting set-up you've got going here. It gives a nice outlet for those extra skill points and it makes having basic +X enhanced items valuable on the server. Also, the ability to enhance your weapons at any given merchant is really convenient. You mentioned something about the guilds in the last post- I had heard that the guilds were "down". What's the deal?

-t.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wheatonrunner69
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Resistance gear.   Mon Sep 15 2008, 10:52

Kronos_Deftone wrote:
I really dig the crafting set-up you've got going here. It gives a nice outlet for those extra skill points and it makes having basic +X enhanced items valuable on the server. Also, the ability to enhance your weapons at any given merchant is really convenient. You mentioned something about the guilds in the last post- I had heard that the guilds were "down". What's the deal?

-t.

Guild discussions warrant a new topic.

I posted your guild question in the "Questions about KT modifications" section:
http://ktnwn.forumotion.net/questions-about-kt-modifications-f4/are-the-guilds-down-t20.htm

Kronos,
What build are you having problems with slashing resistance? do you have any greater or epic belts?

-WR69
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nuli

PostSubject: Re: Resistance gear.   Mon Sep 15 2008, 20:30

Im with you Wheaton, switching around belts and such is annoying at times but pretty smart to do. cyclops
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kronos_Deftone

PostSubject: Re: Resistance gear.   Tue Sep 16 2008, 12:11

The issue that I am having isn't so much with epic stuff. As a matter of fact, I haven't gone beyond level 40 yet. I just keep starting a new character because i'm so overmatched gear-wise. It's levels up to 40 that I have trouble getting proper gear for. A lot of it has to do with bad luck. I just don't get many good drops so the only thing i've had to go by has been what I see in shop. As a result my level 40 melee build is still using a noob shield and +3 fullplate(i've obviously crafted them to the best of my ability). I'm not complaining about the drops. I'm just stating that I have poor luck. The gear's out there, it's just a matter of getting it/getting to it. It doesn't help that I go out of my way to solo areas either.

-jackass.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wheatonrunner69
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Resistance gear.   Tue Sep 16 2008, 12:36

K_D,
I hear you about bad luck with the drops. The first character I created on this server (before I knew about the modifications to multi-classing and item restrictions) was a multi-classed Dwarven Defender fighter. Since he's primarily a DD he gets great dmg reduction, but has no Class specific gear.

He just made lvl 60, and only recently upgraded from fullplate +5, and a +3 towershield (both purchased). So you're not the only one with bad loot drops, hang in there. I've seen some killer stuff out there on the server, but have yet to find any of it that my characters can use.

PM me (if you want) with your levels/classes, I may have some stuff you can use.

-WR69
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sarah the DM

PostSubject: Re: Resistance gear.   Tue Sep 16 2008, 20:00

Players often take pride in rushing ahead to higher level dungeons. That's not very wise IMHO. In KT, the dungeons are designed for 5 players levels per dungeon. D1 is for levels 1-5, D2 for levels 6-10, etc.

I know it's possible to rush ahead, but I think it is more likely to cause you problems later on. You'll likely wind up getting frustrated in a dungeon that's too difficult, because your player simply hasn't found the necessary equipment along the way. You might be the appropriate level experience-wise, but you aren't equipped for it.

Honestly, I intentionally stay in a dungeon until I've had time to work it pretty good for loot. That's especially wise in the lower dungeons where the loot bags are plentiful. That way, you can build up a supply of gems and other special items for when you move up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kronos_Deftone

PostSubject: Re: Resistance gear.   Tue Sep 16 2008, 22:42

I don't rush through to collect keys. I always play as long as I can in each given dungeon. I haven't progressed beyond level 40 and I haven't progressed to D9 yet. I spend a lot of time in each dungeon. I've found 10X more gear with my monk character in the last 3 days than I did the entire time I levelled my Barbarian character. Like I said, just poor luck.

-t.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zog2

PostSubject: Re: Resistance gear.   Wed Oct 01 2008, 23:15

Sarah the DM wrote:
... Divine energy resistance is very rare. It's pretty much reserved for paladins, Knight Templars, and Crimson Monks.

Crimson monks get Divine resistance?
I haven't seen that on mine

Crimson monks are great for clearing dungeons where folk have left spawns lying around, but their usefulness is reduced when they get to d15+, because they have (as far as I've seen, and mine is up to d16) NO damage resistance/reduction/immunity to any type of physical/elemental/magical/+ve/-ve/divine damage

Also their monk spell resistance doesn't seem to have scaled up with levelling from 40 to 60
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sarah the DM

PostSubject: Re: Resistance gear.   Thu Oct 02 2008, 08:30

I haven't really decided how to do the finishing touches on the Crimson Monks for the "special" levels (as discussed elsewhere). My concern was that they were simply too powerful at one point. No character should ever be able to run through every dungeon without fear of death. In D16, especially, it should always be risky.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aztech63

PostSubject: Re: Resistance gear.   Thu Oct 02 2008, 14:42

Yes, death and risk are good, more death more risk.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zog2

PostSubject: Re: Resistance gear.   Fri Oct 03 2008, 00:56

Don't get me wrong -- I enjoy running around on the Cromson monk ...catching badies, clearing stray spawns, etc..

And dying on a crimson ...well ...they have nothing to lose (at present, hmmm)

And as they don't get loot, there's not much point in going to d16 -- as the only real reason to go there is to get uber loot items. If there's a crimson in party and they get the killing blow ...Loot Donated, aaaargh!

As they don't have a great AB anyway (being pure monk and having to get to 21 wisdom) I find the d16 fights take can take a long time anyway ...especially against those Blue Imps (need to go out for a 20+ minute walk and leave him fighting for that one!)

They can get lucky in PvP though ...especially against those who aren't crit immune Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aztech63

PostSubject: Re: Resistance gear.   Fri Oct 03 2008, 11:39

I find I lose interested playing th esame char for very long and get a great tidea or maybe a good drop for another class so I start another char. I've got 1 lvl 60 several level 35 - 45 range and a lot of lower level ones. So gear is usually not a problem as I just put it all on mules and equip my chars as they need stuff.

I can see if u only have 1 or 2 chars u play that you might not get the right drops for them and it would be difficult to move up thru the dungeons. Just play more chars and you'll get plenty of gold, gems and gear.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Resistance gear.   

Back to top Go down

Resistance gear.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1